210 451 total views
My recipe today is authentic Shahi Sheer Khurma, made with vermicelli, homemade condensed milk, lots of nuts and milk. Eid for Muslims of India Pakistan Iran is simply incomplete without sheer khurma. The name of the dish comes from Persian. Milk is called ‘Sheer’ in Persian and khajoor (dates) is called ‘khurma’. The khurma is a very special Eid delicacy which is made in a variety of ways in different traditional and modern families.
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Difficulty Level: Medium
This is one of my favorite desserts, it is not complex at all, but does require open eyes. Timing is of utmost importance in this one. Lets begin:
Ingredients & Method for this Shahi Sheer Khurma, Doodh Sawayyan Recipe
1. Milk (Doodh) – 1 liter
2. Almonds (Badam) – 1 tbsp (peeled, sliced)
3. Cashews (Kaju) – 1 tbsp (sliced)
4. Vermicelli (sawayyan) – 1/2 cup
5. Raisins (Kishmish) – 1 tbsp
6. Sugar (Cheeni) – 1/2 cup
7. Desi Ghee – 1 tbsp
8. Condensed Milk – 4 tbsp
9. Green Cardomom (Hari Alaichi) – 4,5
10. Dates (Khajoor) – 2 (pitted, sliced)
1. Take a pot and put 1 liter of milk. We start boiling the milk and add 4,5 green cardamoms.
2. We will boil the milk for 15 min on low fire and while stirring it.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, we put 1 tbsp of desi ghee and add almonds, cashews, raisins, dates and fry for a few mins. Make sure not to over fry.
4. Now add 1/2 cup of vermicelli to the pan and fry further, till colour changes to light brown. 5. Once milk is boiled for 15 min, add fried vermicelli and nuts to the milk
6. Now, add condensed milk and cook for 10 min. 7. Check the consistency, don’t make it thick, as it will thicken once it cools.
8. Add a little bit of saffron and cook for a minute, then turn off the flame. Yummy creamy sheer khurma is ready! 🙂
Enjoy your Shahi Sheer Khurma
1. It should be served cold. So best is to cook at night (or 2 hour before serving).
2. Shahi Sheer Khurma is special for Eid, and it is loved by everyone. Eid is simply incomplete without this special dessert.
If want to see video of the recipe, then here is the link:
Loved by all traditional old style families and equally popular in newer generations, this doodh sawayyan or sheer khurma is a must for Eid in the subcontinent.
Must try for everyone. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: