210 3,432 total views
Mutton Mandi is a traditional Arabic meat and rice dish with its origin from Yemen. One of the most popular delicious across the Middle East. It’s a combination of soft and tender meat with aromatic rice.
Mandi is an intensely flavourful, smoky and aromatic meal comprising mainly of rice that is topped with either meat, chicken or fish. This recipe is for the meat version, specifically tender mutton/lamb meat.
This is probably the easiest preparation you’ll see of mutton Mandi, and it is sure to give you great results- fluffy rice cooked at the same time as tender pull apart lamb shoulder, simple, just a little bit exotic and plenty delicious!
Lets begin 🙂
Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 mins
Difficulty Level: Medium
Ingredients & Method for Mutton Mandi Recipe
1. Coriander (dhania) – 1 tbsp
2. Cumin (zeera) – 1 tbsp
3. Black Pepper (kali mirch) – 2 tsp
4. Clove (laung) – 2 tsp
5. Green Cardamom (sabz illaichi) – 2 tsp
6. Cinnamon stick (darcheeni) – 1
7. Bay leaves (Tezpat) – 3
8- Jaifal – 1/2 piece
9. Javitri – 1 flower
10. Star Anise – 1
11. Dried ginger powder – 1 tsp
1. Mutton – 1 KG (Lamb Shoulder)
2. Water – 2 liter
3. Salt (Namak) – 2 tsp
4. Onion – 1
5. Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves
6. Green Chilies – 3 to 4
7. Mandi Masala (prepared above) – 1 tbsp (rest will be used later)
8. Dried Lemon – 2
Marination of Boiled Meat
1. Boiled meat
2. Butter – 2 tbsp
3. Mandi Masala (prepared above) – 2 tbsp
4. Yellow food color – 1/2 tsp
1. Onion – 2
2. Green Chili – 3 to 4
3. Chicken Cubes – 2
4. Mandi Masala – 1 tbsp
5. Meat stock
6. Rice – 2 cup
Almonds, cashews, raisins
1.First we will prepare mandi masala. Put all whole spices mentioned in a grinder.
3. Now in a pot, put meat. Add water and all spices (Salt, Onion, Garlic, Green Chilies and Mandi Masala)
4.Cook on low fire for 1 hour or till the meat is well tender.
5. Separate whole spices from the stock and set it aside for later use in rice cooking.
6. For marination, take a separate bowl, add butter, mandi masala, yellow color food and mix well.
7. Spread this spice butter on both sides of the cooled meat.
9. Grill until meat is golden on both sides.
11. Add green chilies, chicken cube, mandi masala. Mix well.
12. Now add remaining stock. Add rice and cover the pot.
13. Cook till the water is dried and rice is cooked.
14. Put the steamed mutton on top of the rice.
15. Finally, to give this meat a smoky flavor, put a burning coal in the pan. And cover it for 10 min on steam.
16. After 10 mins, garnish with roasted dry fruit to give a perfect topping to an awesome meal.
What to serve Lamb Mandi with:
I like a simple green salad, as well as yogurt with dried mint. You can also make a yogurt salad with cucumbers.
If want to see video of the recipe, then here is the link:
Must try for everyone. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: