210 2,306 total views
Lahori Chikar Cholay is a street food from Lahore. It’s a flavorful curry of chickpeas coated in a thick gravy with basic spices. Lahore is known for its traditional food and rich food culture. Chickar cholay is a popular breakfast dish from Lahore that is served as desi nashta with halwa puri, kulcha or naan.
There are a lot of recipes and different version of chikar cholay, but what is consistent in every recipe is the texture of the curry, its thickness, mushy and packed with flavor. It is a popular street food dish and is often called chikar channe, chana masala or cholay depending upon the region. Preparation Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Medium
It is a healthy, hearty, flavor packed dish that is high in proteins, is vegan and gluten-free.. Lets begin:
Ingredients & Method for this Lahori Chikar Cholay, Lahori Channe Recipe
1. Chickpeas (Channe) – 500 grams
2. Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
3. Salt (Namak) – 1 tsp
4. Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch) – 1 tsp
5. Black Pepper (Kali Mirch) – 1 tsp (crushed)
6. Black Cardamom (Bari Alaichi) – 3
7. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
8. Garam Masala – 1 tsp
9. Coriander Powder (Dhania) – 1 tsp
10. Cumin Powder (Zeera) – 1 tsp
11. Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsan) – 2 tbsp
12. Onion Paste (Piyaz) – 1
13. Potatoes (Aloo) – 2 (boiled)
14. Oil (Tael) – 1/2 cup
Pre Ready the Chick Peas:
1. Soak chickpeas in water overnight with baking soda.
2. Next morning, boil chickpeas with water in tsp of salt.
3. For masala preparation, put oil in pan.
4. Add garlic ginger paste, fry till light brown.
5. Now add onion paste and fry till light brown.
6. Now add stage 1 masalas, red chili powder, black pepper powder, salt, and turmeric.
7. Fry well for 5 min, add water as needed.
8. Add stage 2 masalas, cinnamon, black cardamom, garam masala, coriander, cumin.
9. Fry for 5 min on low fire, add water as needed.
10. Now add the secret ingredient, boiled potatoes.
11. Fry potatoes till dissolved in mixture completely to make a thick gravy.
12. Next, we add boiled chickpeas and yogurt.
13. Fry for 5-10 min.
14. Add water when oil has been separated, we use the same water that we boiled the chickpeas in.
15. Cover the lid and cook for 30 min on low fire.
16. Your Lahori Chikar Cholay are ready, now we will garnish with garam masala, black pepper, green coriander, green chili and fenugreek leaves.
Enjoy your Lahori Chikar Cholay
1. It should be served hot. With naan, paratha or kulcha.
2. Lahori nashta is well known for its flavorful dishes. Chikar cholay, nan kulcha and halwa puri are considered to be the most prominent dishes of Lahori breakfast.
If want to see video of the recipe, then here is the link:
Must try for everyone. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: