210 786 total views
If I say that Lahori chargha chicken has already become a most typical traditional food of the walled city of Lahore, I am assure I wont be wrong. The deep marination, the charred taste, the chat masala, topped with lemon and eaten with fresh naans, I tell you nothing can beat it! 🙂
Preparation Time: 15 min
Baking time: 60 min
Difficulty Level: Easy
Ingredients & Method for Lahori Chargha Recipe
1 Full Chicken – 1.5 kg
1. Yogurt – 1/2 cup
2. Salt – 1 tsp
3. Dried Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
4. Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
5. Garam Masala – 1 tsp
6. Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
7. Pinch of Yellow Food Color
8. Lemon Juice – 3 tbsp
9. Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 tbsp
10. Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
12. Red Chili Flakes – 1 tsp
13. Egg -1
For Garnish: Lemon Juice and Chat Masala
Pro Tip: Before you start with the marination, I highly advise to wash and dip your chicken in vinegar and salt for one hour at least. Remove from vinegar and wash again pat dry with a kitchen towel.
1. Place deep letter V- shapes cuts on the chicken breast with a sharp knife. Similarly, place 1-2 deep cuts on the leg pieces. Set aside.
2. Now we will marinade the chicken. To prepare the mix, we put all the ingredient listed under For Marination in a mixing bowl. This marinade is enough for 1-1.25 kg chicken.
3. Mix all the ingredients well to make a uniform paste.
4. Take marinade in your hand and apply it all over the chicken. Wear gloves if you want to avoid spice burns.
5. Now tie the legs of the chicken with a cotton thread.
7. Place chargah in a baking dish or on a sheet lined with butter paper and roast for about 1 hour or more at 350 F or 180 C. The internal temperature on a meat thermometer should reach 165F to be safe.
The suggested timings are 1 kg whole chicken, cooking time will increase for a bigger bird. After 1 hour take the dish out of the oven.
9. Serve with naan or bread of your choice. Fresh salad sprinkled with lemon and traditional Pakistan mint chutney goes very well with the chargha. Sprinkle chat masala and lemon on top for additional zing. I am sure you will love it.
If you wish to see video of this special recipe, then here is a link from my YouTube channel:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: