210 264 total views
Daal Masoor is a popular lentil based dish from the North Indian Cuisine and is often made in Pakistani and Indian homes. There are a lot of lentils used in Asian cuisine in a variety of ways.
Daal is the generic term used for all lentils in Asia. Also the soup or stew like preparation made with any lentil is called as daal. A tarhka is a cooking method where spices and other aromatics are cooked briefly in hot oil to bring out their best flavor.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
This daal masoor recipe is gluten free, high in fiber and protein, low in fat and calories, and packed with flavor. Flavor and the aroma of this daal is out of this world. Lets begin 🙂
Ingredients & Method for this Daal Masoor Tarhka Recipe
1. Daal masoor – 1 cup
2. Water – 1 liter
3. Salt (namak) – 2 tsp
4. Red chili powder (lal mrich) – 2 tsp
5. Turmeric (haldi) – 1/2 tsp
1. Onion ( Piyaz) – Half sliced
2. Garlic ( Lahsan) – 1 whole grated
3. Cumin ( Zeera) – 1 tsp
4. Whole Red Chili – 1 tsp
5. Bay leaves ( Taiz pat) – 2
6. Green Chilies and Fresh Coriander
1. Wash your daal with water 3 to 4 times.
2. Once the lentil is rinsed, add them to the pot with fresh water.
3. Add red chili , salt and turmeric. Cover for 30 mins.
4. After 30 mins, if you prefer thin daal then add little more water. But this ratio of daal and water is perfect for little bit thick consistency. 5. Put daal on low fire while preparing tarhka.
Preparation of Tarhka:
6. Heat oil in a pan, add onion. Fry till golden brown.
7. Add garlic, mix well. Add bay leaves and cumin. Fry till garlic turn golden
8. Add whole red chilies and fresh green chili.
9. Fry for 30 sec. Tarhka is ready. 10. Add this tarhka to daal and cover immediately.
11. Cook for another 5 mins on low fire with tarhka so the aroma , daal and all spices well combine together.
12. Serve with boil rice. Salad and home made achar go perfect with it.
Bonus Tips for Daal Masoor Tarhka
1. If you are health conscious you can have this as a soup with less oil in tarhka or you may use olive oil.
2. One bowl fresh salad and enjoy your healthy meal.
If want to see video of the recipe, then here is the link:
Must try for everyone. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: