210 424 total views
Chicken Shawarma Rice Platter makes a perfect blend of American easy going cuisine and the Arab spices way of cooking. The signature yellow rice and the marinated chicken have a great combo for both comfort food and for guests. The world famous sauce just adds to the amazement and brings the dish together.
In short if you’re looking for a dish that you can serve with ease, this dish is for you. The familiarity I have with this recipe take me way back to the Hague of 2009. This was when we first came to the Netherlands and had to look for a good halal place to eat. A restaurant that served this heavenly dish fit that description and we were in love. Since then, I learned the secrets of the dish and it turned out even better than the restaurant’s!
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Difficulty Level: Easy
Ingredients & Method for Chicken Shawarma Rice Recipe
1. Chicken boneless – 600 gram
2. Red chili powder – 1 tsp
3. Cumin powder – 1 tsp
4. Coriander powder – 1 tsp
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
6. Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
7. Salt to taste
8. Thick Curd – 2 tbsp
9. Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
10. Olive oil – 1 tbsp
11. Vinegar – 1 tsp
12. Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
13. Oil for grilling
Signature Yellow Saffron Rice
1. Basmati rice – 2 cups
2. Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
3. Onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
4. Garlic paste – 1 tsp
5. Cloves (Laung) – 4
6. Green cardamom – 4
7. Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
8. Water – 4 cups
9. Saffron – 1 tsp
10. Chicken cubes – 2
11. Green Peas – 1/2 cup
12. Bay Leaves – 2
13. Salt to taste
1. Lets first we start with chicken marination. Wash the chicken boneless well. Now take a mixing bowl, add chicken, yogurt, vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice.
2. Now add all the dry spices.
3. Mix and marinate well for minimum 1-2 hours, it’s advisable to marinate overnight. Cover and keep refrigerated until you cook them.
4. Set a pan on medium high heat, add the marinated chicken
5. Cook the chicken for around 4-5 minutes, flip and cook the chicken another side as well until cooked.
6. Start to shred the chicken piece in smaller size and cook until the chicken is cooked and tender.You can also cook the chicken completely and shred with a knife for your comfortable work.
7. Wash the rice thoroughly until its clear, then soak it for about 30 minutes. Now, as the rice is soaked, drain the water and keep aside for cooking.
To make rice masala, take a cooking pan, add olive oil & onion. Fry till light brown.
8. Add chopped garlic, saute til light brown in color.
9. Now add whole spices and sauté for few seconds.
10. Now add chicken cubes, turmeric, cumin powder and salt.Add a splash of water to mix all ingredients together.
11. Now add 4 cups of water.
12. When water starts boiling add saffron and peas.
13. Now add soaked rice, stir once and cover it with a lid to cook.
14. Cook till the water is dry.
15. Now for steaming, cover the lid with a cloth and steam for 15 mins on very low flame. Switch off the flame and fluff up the rice with a fork. Serve sufficient amount of rice in a serving bowl or a plate.
16. Place steamed chicken and fresh salad also in the same plate. The beautiful color and aroma is guaranteed to fill the table and room. Drizzle some hot sauce and white garlic sauce over the chicken and rice. You may also serve it hot with warm pita bread. Your one bowl meal, chicken on rice is ready. You can tweak the addition of few elements as per you’re preference.
If you wish to see video of this special recipe, then here is a link from my YouTube channel:
Must try for everyone. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: