210 584 total views
This special black daal mash recipe is a light traditional subcontinental dish with a spicy touch to it. It’s going to be really delicious. You can serve it with fresh chapati and it also goes really well with rice, but I’m going to make phulka to serve with it, along with salad & pickle. Enjoy this daal in the summer, because during the hot season you always feel like eating something light.
I highly recommend you try this awesome kaali (black) daal recipe. You and your family are going to love it. You don’t have to trust me, just make this at home and relish the mash daal.
This daal mash is a popular lentil based dish from the North Indian Cuisine and is often made in Pakistani and Indian homes. There are a lot of lentils used in Asian cuisine in a variety of ways. Lets start:
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Ingredients & Method for this Black Daal Mash Recipe
For Masala Preparation:
1. Black Daal Mash – 1 cup
2. Water – 1 liter
3. Salt (Namak) – 1 tsp
4. Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch) – 1 tsp
5. Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
6. Cumin (Zeera) – 1 tsp
7. Coriander (Dhania) – 1 tsp
8. Garam Masala – 1 tsp
9. Oil – 4 tbsp
For Tadka Preparation:
1. Desi Ghee – 3 tbsp
2. Garlic (Lahsan) – 3-4 cloves sliced
3. Cumin (Zeera) – 1 tsp
4. Whole Red Chili – 7,8
5. Paprika Powder – 1 tsp
1. In a pot heat oil on a medium flame. Add medium sized chopped onion.
2. Stirring at regular intervals, fry the onions till light brown or golden.
3. Once onions are golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown.
4. Now add tomatoes and mix well for 30 seconds.
5. Add all the powder spices.
6. Stir the spices and fry for 1 min using a splash of water so masala didn’t burn.
7. Saute the masala till the oil starts separating.
8. Add the drained and soaked black (kali) daal mash to the masala mix.
9. Now add water and stir well.
10. Cover the pot and cook for one hour.
11. If your are using pressure cooker, cook for about 15 to 18 whistles or 18 to 20 minutes or till daal becomes soft.
12. You can keep the consistency as per your preference.
13. Now daal is ready let’s prepare yummy tadka.
14. Heat desi ghee in a pan. Add garlic and fry till light golden.
15. Now add zeera, dhara mirch and paprika powder and fry for 30 sec.
16. Tadka is ready. Add it to your daal. Cover and cook for another 5 mins so the aroma of tadka gets mixed well in daal.
Enjoy Black Daal Mash
If want to see video of the recipe, then here is the link:
Lentils are quite an essential part of subcontinental meals, and there is quite a variety. Here you’ll never run out of ideas to make them. Would love to hear comments from you. If you have any recipe related question? Or if you have any issue with your cooking? Then please contact me in the comments section below.
Please like & share on my videos. Subscribe to my channel (LifeWeLive by Salmarif) :
My recipes are also available on my website:
Follow me on:
You may also like to read: